As a paraphilia, urine may be consumed or the person may bathe in it. Other variations include arousal from wetting or seeing someone else urinate in their pants or underclothes, or wetting the bed. Other forms of urolagnia may involve a tendency to be sexually aroused by smelling urine-soaked clothing or body parts. In many cases, a strong correlation or conditioning arises between urine smell or sight and the sexual act. For some individuals the phenomenon may include a diaper fetish and/or arousal from infantilism.
Urolagnia is sometimes associated with, or confused with, arousal from having a full bladder or a sexual attraction to someone else experiencing the discomfort or pain of a full bladder, possibly a sadomasochistic inclination.
- Clothes wetting/Diapering: The person is sexually aroused by wetting one's clothing or observing another person doing so.
- Examination: the urine of the bottom is stored and studied as part of a medical procedure or mock medical procedure, often as an act of humiliation.
- Exhibitionism: Becoming noticeably desperate or wetting oneself with the express purpose of being seen by strangers. Practitioners have described going to public places such as a mall or a park. Some intend to create situations where others can see their wet clothing.
- Golden Shower/Human urinal: An act common in the bondage sex community where the bottom will serve as a urinal for a top. The bottom may be covered in urine or potentially forced to drink the urine.
- Omorashi: The act of holding one's own urine until the need to urinate is urgent, making another hold in their urine, or watching another person with an urgent need to urinate. This fetish sometimes originates from childhood memories of needing, or of seeing another needing, to urinate. Arousal may be triggered by seeing the body movements or facial expressions of that person. It can also be heightened by the person saying that they have to urinate. The arousal from being desperate comes from the sensation of having a full bladder.
- When performing a golden shower be sure you need to pee at the right time. Consume plenty of tea and coffee to drink, as these are diuretics.
- Consider using a stool, ladder and curtain as well as a firm area to brace oneself if performing in a shower stall or tub above a partner.
- Eating food such as asparagus or beats in excess may cause your urine to become an unsightly color and smell.
- There are, however, certain people who prefer the unsightly color and smell either as an act of sadism or masochism.
- One can also seal and store one's urine in the fridge and use it for a cold golden shower.